Permanent Residence (PR)
Live in Australia Permanently
Obtaining permanent residence, means that you can live in Australia, and call Australia home. Your visa will include a five year travel facility, so make sure you renew it every five years if you plan to leave and come back to Australia, and if in doubt, check before you travel overseas.
By holding permanent residence, and satisfying the residence requirements, you could become eligible for Australian citizenship, and children born in Australia to a permanent residence parent, are eligible for citizenship.
Permanent residence can also make you eligible for certain government payments and benefits.
Benefits of PR:
- Stay permanently in Australia
- Access to Medicare
- Access many other benefits (some have waiting periods)
- Many permanent visas allow you to sponsor family members to migrate to Australia
- Buy and invest in property
- Apply for Australian citizenship
- The same job opportunities as locals
Pathways to Permanent Residence
There are many pathways to permanent residence and many types of work, family, investment and skilled visas can lead to PR.