Haydn Brand Registered Migration Agent assists with both straightforward and more complex citizenship applications.
In summary, if you are born in Australia with a parent who is a permanent resident or citizen, you will automatically become an Australian citizen. There are other ways to obtain citizenship by application including these common situations:
- Live in Australia for four years, without any ‘unlawful’ period within that four years, and with the most recent year as a permanent resident
- Be born overseas to an Australian citizen parent
- Be a certain eligible New Zealand citizens – and able to apply for Australian citizenship
The benefits of becoming a citizen include:
- An Australian Passport!
- Vote and seek election to parliament
- Opportunity to apply for work in public service or the defence force
- Overseas consular assistance for Australian citizens
- Have a child who is an Australian citizen by descent
- Be a part of the Australian community
- There can be advantages relating to other family members’ future visa applications (for example not needing to meet the ‘usually resident’ criteria in the balance of family test).
There can be complex Citizenship situations. There are also allowances made in the residence requirement (if you have been absent from Australia for up to 12 months before you apply (and not absent for more than 90 days in the most recent 12 months) then you may still be eligible for citizenship).
There may be discretionary powers available in the case of departmental administrative error, in event of significant hardship or disadvantage, in the case of your being in a particular relationship or having engaged in work or in the defence of Australia. You should seek professional advice for your particular circumstances. Haydn Brand Registered Migration Agent assists with Citizenship enquiries and applications!